Every year, hundreds of teams and thousands of people gather near Stevens Point, WI for the World's Largest Trivia Contest, hosted by the local university radio station, WWSP. The contest is 54 hours long, with questions broadcast over the radio and answers called in to a team of highly caffeinated volunteers. Teams have the length of two songs to answer questions, using any sources (thankfully including the Internet). Questions range from fairly easy questions like "An ad in a 1930's newspaper for this product reads '...', what is the name of this product?" to "In the scene where $character and $other_character are doing $thing, a train passes by in the background. What does it say on the train?". Points are decided by how many teams get a question correct. Scores are posted (almost) every hour. The only problem is there's no way to get notified of when new scores get posted. They're posted at random times throughout the hours, and our team often didn't refresh for hours at a time. You can't see your score for previous hours, so it's hard to tell how good or bad you've been doing. So I wrote an website to fix that.
It started 4 years ago, when I was just learning Python and Django. I wrote a basic scraper that would scrape once a minute, put it into a Django model, and added a basic interface that would let you search by team name or hour. Later, I added email text notifications when scores were posted. This year, I decided to do a few more upgrades.
During our most recent monthly Hack Day, I decided it was time to learn what modern frontend development looked like. Hack Days happen once a month on the Friday after our office all-hands meeting. Developers are encouraged to work on whatever interests them. Since I spend my whole day writing backend code, I try to focus on frontend code and small apps during Hack Day. I've written small apps, home automation tools, an HTML music player using Amplitude controlled by a Myo armband, and some projects more related to my day job. I figured TriviaStats was a prime candidate for a rewrite. So I spent a couple hours the night before researching what the new, hip things were. To get started, I used Yeoman, which is a tool that generates a blank project for you with all your dependencies already configured. It cuts out the boilerplate. I choose:
Writing the frontend was a joy using these different tools. I don't think I could go back now. The only major problem I ran into was Jade and Angular have a conflict on the one time binding syntax (::variable), which is a major performance gain for Angular. Jade simply wouldn't render it in some instances, and I couldn't find a workaround. Very unfortunate.
The second upgrade was to put the app in Docker and write some simple config management with Ansible to do deploys. The previous system was using Fabric. It worked, but wasn't as simple as Ansible. It also helped that I've been deploying my other side projects with Ansible and Docker for a year now. You can check out the Dockerfile that runs TriviaStats here.
The third upgrade was to do the deployment in a scalable, redundant, monitored way. While the load during Trivia isn't enough to require more than one instance, having a bit of redundancy never hurts. I spun up a couple Ubuntu 14.04 AWS instances behind an Elastic Load Balancer and enabled CloudWatch monitoring. When I write a new version of the backend, I build a new container, push it up to Docker Hub, and then run Ansible to pull down the container, run database migrations, and start up the new container. There's also an Nginx container on each server tha handles SSL termination for the backend and configs to serve up the API. This too is controlled by Ansible.
Lastly, I rewrote the backend mostly from scratch. It was originally serving up some basic Django templates, with a bit of jQuery to make the site look like it was developed this decade. I decided to switch to backend that is only a REST API and the Django admin (which is one of the best parts of Django). To handle the scores, there's a basic model, a serializer, and an API view set. Subscribers are the same thing. There's also a scraper that uses BeautifulSoup to parse the scores page and spit out some Scores objects. I also made it pass PEP8 style checks and wrote some tests. It's almost a proper project now.
I ran into a few problems with the site. I'm using ??Angular Django Resource. It provides a handy API for dealing with Django REST Framework's. However, I noticed it was automatically requesting the next page after it got each response. Being that I have tens of thousands of scores, with a max page size of 500, this isn't exactly ideal. I forked the project, removed pagination for now (I'm not using it), and I'll figure out a real solution later that I can contribute upstream, as I really like this library.
A somewhat frustrating problem with my Gulp setup is the templateCache.js is not versioned. templateCache.js is where Angular HTML templates are stored to prevent the frontend from having to make a new request for a template each time you switch views or pages. Since it isn't versioned, it needs to be invalidated every time it changes in Cloudfront, which takes 5-10 minutes. If I get that versioned, I'll be able to also version index.html, and use the Cloudfront API to change which index.html is served up when users first visit the site. This will take frontend deployments from 5-10 minutes (and a visit to the Cloudfront control panel) to 10 seconds and a single command.